• Twitter Clean

​© 2017 by Cartsburn Publishing

Lamonts

James Lamont & Co, Ship Builders and Repairers, Greenock, was founded in 1870 and operated from the Dock Breast. They leased the East India Drydock, later building another. In 1925, the firm was incorporated as a private limited company, James Lamont & Co Ltd, at the same time absorbing the boiler making and engineering business of Andrew Turner Lamont, Greenock.

In 1929, the Castle Works at Port Glasgow, Inverclyde, formerly owned by Clyde Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, were acquired. Shipbuilding commenced at these works from around 1946, but they were closed in 1980. Between 1946 and 1978 some 78 ships were built by the company mostly consisting of coasters, tugs, small ferries, dredgers and sludge carriers.

The ship-repairing works at Greenock however, survived until 1989 when they too were forced to close.

 

 

Records of James Lamont & Co Ltd, shipbuilders and repairers, Greenock, Inverclyde, Scotland 
Reference Number: GB 248 UGD 140 
Held at: Glasgow University Archive Services 
Dates of Creation: 1907-1981 
Physical Extent: 24.2 metres There are no physical characteristics or technical requirements that affect the use of this material. 
Name of Creator: James Lamont & Co Ltd (ship builders and repairers: 1925-c1989: Greenock, Inverclyde, Scotland) 

Publication: Glasgow University Archive Services, 10 July 2002 
Scope and Content
This material is currently being re-listed. Where available, covering dates for series of records have been given.

Order books 1955-1980 
Job books 
Estimates 1929-1978 
Correspondence 1943-1975 
Ship files 1947-1978 
Ship plans 1932-1974 (ship nos. 367-445) 
Yard plans 1907-1974 
Memorandum and articles of association 1925 
Minute books 
Annual reports 
Registers of directors and members 
Board reports 
Board correspondence 
Private ledgers 
Journals; cash books 
Nominal accounts 
Sales records 
Purchase books 
Materials books 1947-1978 
Dock records 
Technical records 
Launch records c1946-1978 
Photographs 
Publicity materials 
Calendars 
Personnel records 1947-1981 
Administrative / Biographical History
James Lamont & Co , ship builders and repairers, Greenock, Inverclyde, Scotland, was founded in 1870. In 1925, the firm was incorporated as a private limited company, James Lamont & Co Ltd , at the same time absorbing the boiler making and engineering business of Andrew Turner Lamont, Greenock. In 1929, the Castle Works at Port Glasgow, Inverclyde, formerly owned by Clyde Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, were acquired. Shipbuilding commenced at these works from around 1946, but they were closed in 1980. The ship-repairing works at Greenock however, survived until 1989 when they too were closed. 

Ritchie, L A (ed) The Shipbuilding Industry: A guide to Historical Records (Manchester, 1992) 

1/1